Just My Opinion - by Mary Kilen
Waiting For The Verdict
As I write my column this week I’m just waiting for my doctor’s appointment on Thursday. I’ll see Dr. Joshi and find out if my foot is healed enough to come out of the cast.
I’m hoping the answer is yes. It’s been eight weeks since I broke my foot and more than six weeks since surgery. I know that my age and osteoporosis may have something to do with my healing time, so I’m trying not to get too hopeful, but I’m really tired of the cast, the knee stroller and the wheelchair.
I’m tired of not getting to do all the things I usually do. I’m so unbelievably grateful to all the people that have stepped up to help me with things for the paper, but I’m ready to do more of it myself again.
I also miss taking day trips just because. I’ve missed visiting Amanda, Zach and the kids more than I can say. They’ve been busy with so many fall sports for the kids and I haven’t made it to any of them. This nana is going to have some making up to do!
Because that’s all I’ve been thinking about for the last week, I’m having a hard time picking a column topic. As a result, I’m going to share another Facebook post I saw from one of my friends. It did not list an author or have a title, so I’ll just call it some great life ideas. If we all did at least a couple of these, we could brighten the world around us.
1. Compliment three people every day.
2. Watch a sunrise at least once a year.
3. Be the first to say ‘Hello’.
4. Live beneath your means.
5. Treat everyone like you want to be treated.
6. Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen.
7. Forget the Joneses.
8. Never deprive someone of hope. It may be all he has.
9. Pray not for things, but for wisdom and courage.
10. Be tough-minded but tenderhearted.
11. Be kinder than necessary.
12. Don’t forget, a person’s greatest emotional need is to feel appreciated.
13. Keep your promises.
14. Learn to show cheerfulness, even when you don’t feel like it.
15. Remember that overnight success usually takes about 15 years.
16. Leave everything better than you found it.
17. Remember that winners do what losers don’t want to do.
18. When you arrive at your job in the morning, let the first thing you say brighten everyone’s day.
19. Don’t rain on other people’s parade.
20. Never waste an opportunity to tell someone you love them.